יום שישי, 24 באוגוסט 2018

On Liberating Thoughts from the Prison of the Bible

When I was twenty I started writing Hebrew poetry. When I was twenty-one I started learning Hebrew literature in the university. And the professor said: "you must know your Bible in order to write rich multilayered texts". And the admired author was Agnon, who referred to the Bible and to its interpreters as much as he could. It took me fifty years to understand that this advice leads to a huge collection of imprisoned thoughts limping on the crutches of the bible.
Just to give you an example: I thought I need to buy plastic leaves of grape and fig in order to sit under them.
So, I asked myself how can I liberate my thoughts from the prison of the Bible?
And I came up with this two-stage plan:
a.       I'll switch to my poor English. Thus, I'll avoid the inevitable biblical associations that each Hebrew word startles.
b.       I'll try to rephrase every sentence that is influenced by the bible.
So, instead of the sentence: "buy plastic leaves of grape and fig in order to sit under them" my new thought is: "I plan to relax… I'll breathe deeply when this thought ends".


אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה